Freitag, 23. Dezember 2016

My first week in NZ

My first week in NZ

First, I was pretty sad when I took off with the plane from the Goldcoast to Auckland. Ok I thought then: 'new country, new adventure'. Australia was epic and I fell in love with this country. I had 10 jobs, heaps of surfing and got to know lots of awesome people and places. 

My Jobs in OZ 2016:
1 week: Tomatofarm (Shepparton VIC)
1 month: Blueberryfarm (Woolgoolga NSW)
1 month: Aupair (Beenleigh QLD)
5 month: Hostel Staff (Agnes Water QLD)
2 days: Gardener (Agnes Water QLD)
2 weeks: Kitchenhand (Agnes Water QLD)
4 month: Barista (Agnes Water QLD)
2 month: Surf Photographer (Agnes Water QLD)
4 month: Hostel Manager (Agnes Water QLD)
3 days: Travel Blogger (Airlie Beach QLD) 

Note: I've done a few jobs at the same time.

The Fern

Auckland:
I arrived in Auckland and the first thing I noticed: it's so cold!. I directly put my jumper on. With all my luggage (20kg big backpack, 7kg small backpack, a skateboard and a surfboard), I was wandering around Auckland until I found my couchsurfing-host. Vagner and Lucas from Brazil hosted me. They are super friendly and gave me a shot tequila on my first night and took me to a bar with Sybil (USA), the other couchsurfer. I felt like I met 20 brazilians but I am also happy that I met Okko (Japan) and Lilly (NZ) and totally recommend to stay with the two boys at their flat. Then I already heard: 'Germans are everywhere'. I noticed this later on on my bus to Raglan. 

Second night in Auckland: after spending time in the library, organizing a sim card, using the wifi and finishing some sketches, we had thanks giving. We made mashed potato with cheese and a turkey. Then we took the Uber to another flat and then booooom: 30 brazilians, me, Sybill, Okko and Lilly. It was awesome! Heaps of food, Brazilian and American music in the background and everybody was eating and talking. This was my first thanks giving. 

Raglan:
After I messaged Lena, my friend from back home, that I am coming to Ragland to see her, she told me she is on a road trip with someone. 'But Marie will look after you!' So then I arrived at the library, was using the wifi and waiting for Marie. She is awesome! She picked me up and took me to the campsite. Falk and Nick were there as well. Second day: Surfing with Falk in the messy water. Was fun and so cold. Lena wasn't in Raglan, so I hang out with these guys at first...

What to do in Ragland at the weekend:
1. Hotel: Double Gin Tonic ($7)
2.1. Yot Club: Saturday night!!
2.2. Yot Club: Sunday Session!!
3. Shack: Hangover Brunch + Bloody Mary!

I was hanging around with those guys until Lena came back. I was sleeping on the camping ground and in some cars somewhere. 
View of Waikato Region

Fern Forest
Mount Maunganui/Tauranga:
Then Sam, Marie and me started a road trip to Mount Maunganui which is located 2h away at the east coast. Lena came a few days later but Sam was with us. We were very disappointed when we arrived there. We wanted to go back to Raglan! There were so many houses, lots of traffic and a big  industrial harbor. And the mount. We first checked out the beach and that was nice. But no waves. It's worth to do the walk around the mount and to '!!!climb!!!' up to the summit. I don't like hiking and I nearly died during the walk but the view was epic. I grew up in the mountains but really don't like hikes and heights. I still do some but I can't enjoy it. I am more a water person. 


Beachwalk
Anyway, the cheapest holiday park was fully booked (and no we don't pay more than $10 for any accommodation) and we had no place to stay, so we stayed at the memorial park in Tauranga City. Please note: It is not an offical camping area. It's just a normal park.

Flora, Marie and Sam
Mount Maunganui Beach and Town
Rotorua:
Rotorua is located more inland and south of Tauranga. The nature is amazing and there are some breathtaking sceneries such as the Okere Waterfall and some hot springs . It's worth to stay there for one or two nights. I love the redwoods. It's a forest with incredible high trees and crazy crystal clear water. 


The Water in the Red Wood
Red Woods
Okere Falls
Waihau Bay:
After having some phone calls and checked out at backpackerboard.nz for some available jobs, we had a job confirmed. Orchard work on a kiwi farm. We were so excited! Before we arrived at Waihau Bay (which is located close to the East Cape), we stayed in Opotiki for a night. We had a coffee in a cozy Cafe called 'two fish cafe' and checked out the library for some wifi. Yes again.  Mobile network is horrible in NZ! Unfortunately the cafe gave us some blueberry muffins after they have closed during the arvo. We were so happy that we got those presents! Super nice people! We come back there again! 
Last but not least: after arriving at Waihau Bay, some fisherman gave us a fresh caught snapper and an other big fish (forgot the name). He saw us and asked randomly: 'hey girls, do you want to have some fish?' WTF???? Yes of course we do! He asked if we know how to filled and cook it. Yes I do. A little bit. I filled my first fish by myself for the first time!!! I have done it before but only with someone who showed it to me. 


The Snapper and his big friend
Fish in the Pan

What a wicked day! Free homemade blueberry muffins and fresh caught fish! Kiwis are nice! But please be aware: no reception at all after Opotiki along the whole east coast! Which was ok for me and also nice just not to be available. 
Kiwi Orchard in Waihau Bay
What surprised me in NZ: 
There are many many Chinese people in Auckland! And I haven't thought that the Maori culture is big in NZ. I have heard from the culture before but never knew they are here in NZ as well (originally from Polynesia). Also there are some Indians living along the east coast and doing orchard work. 
That's interesting to see that there are a few big ethnic groups living here. 

Tomorrow we start working and I see you guys more in the next blog post. 

Cheers Flora 

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen